Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Why I start this blog 'Convenient Society'

With endless 'Inconvenient Truth' flashing in our life,  i can't help to think of the price man had actually paid for a 'Convenient Society' in exchange of our mother-earth.

The damage might be beyond repair however I hope it's never too late to realize and learn again the food we eat, the lifestyle we lead.

2009, I was living in a rather remote town in Central Vietnam for a few months. At the beginning life there was 'so inconvenient' for me in many ways. I can't wait to pardonize the first 'KFC' on its grand opening, to indulge in my 2 Pc-Meal!  I was counting down so impatiently for the BIG-C Hypermart opening, hoping that it will carry all the convenient stuffs I needed.  As few months passes, I realized I had lived though the inconvenient ways naturally.  My flu was healed with lemongrass inhale threatment.  Vegetables in wet-market don't look so 'beautiful' visually, later did I realized that was what known as 'organic food' in the city and that is supposed to be pricey. Over there, it only cost me less than USD0.30cents for a big bundle of fresh lettuce; with soil still intact on it's roots.  Fresh beef was wrapped with banana leafs... and usually people in the town do not stock dairy food in the freezer overnight, they just buy what is needed to consume within the day. 

Unconsciously, my mind had slipped into a different operation mode. Many things are simply D.I.Y., not like back at home where I would just grab what I need from the hypermart or dine out so conveniently. When in Vietnam, I even make my own jam with the excess strawberries from the highland.
The time came when I have to be back to the city life. I recalled I was just away from home for less than 6 months, in my return I discovered much 'wrongs' everywhere.... the smell, the noise, the taste, the color, the spirit and etc. 'What's wrong?'

I realized I have got my (default)senses back, senses that I do not remember I had before or rather lost unconsciously as I grew up in a commericalize and polluted city. Being a mutated city dweller indulged in this 'Convenient Society' over the past thirty over years, I never even question or sense if anything is not so right in such a convenient society... I used to think that's supposed to be what is to be.

With the blessing of my senses tuning back to its default point, I began to see life otherwise. After all so assumed 'inconvenient' ways of living does not seen so bad after all....really. It is just a matter of changing our daily habits.
At one look we could be the winner of  this 'Convenient Society', on another could we be a victim, or could we be a culprit?

In this 'Convenient Society' blog, I am going to recall the issues I discovered from another perspective... no longer a mutated city dweller but with the senses I was 'gifted' back. I am real thankful indeed.

Nothing is better than getting back ones consciousness.

No comments:

Post a Comment